In 1924, the Ledges officially became one of Iowa's first state parks.
Park facilities constructed of native timber and field stone by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930's are still standing today.
The major flood water levels have been recorded on a "flood pole" located in the lower area of the park. The Oak Woods picnic shelter and nearby restroom, located in the eastern area of the park, are fully accessible.
Two open picnic shelters may be reserved online through the park reservation system. Ledges offers several campsites, including electrical hookups (1 of which is fully accessible), non-electric hookups (1 of which is fully accessible), and some hike-in.
The sandstone was deposited 300 million years ago following the retreat of the shallow sea that covered much of the midwest.
About 13,000 years ago, glacial meltwater began to cut down through the sandstone, forming the park's dramatic cliffs and valleys.
Visitors are asked to stay out of the campground at this time to avoid interference with the project.The trail starts at the old stone building across from the amphitheater by the entrance to the campground.The Hutton Memorial is located along a trail on the north side of the canyon.Ledges was proposed as a state park as early as 1914.The first park custodian, Carl Fritz Henning, was appointed in 1921.
Native American mounds in the vicinity contain artifacts acting as silent reminders of the area's past inhabitants.